Stockport Silver Band are performing the 4th section test piece at the Areas preview event hosted by Hawk Green Band on the 21st Feb. Click on poster for info. Come down for a listen and support us and the other bands taking part!
Stockport Silver Band are pleased to announce our return to contesting after a 25 year break! The first contest that we hope to enter is the North West Regional Championships at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool on Sunday 28th February, 2016. We are currently enjoying practicing The Journal of Phileas Fogg by Peter Graham under the baton of Ian Colwell.
With the exception of Whit Friday, the last contests Stockport Silver Band entered was Pontins Southport and the Northwest Area in March 1991. The band was close to folding in 2004 when a call out was made to find new players. Stockport Silver has since gone from strength to strength and we now have 24 current members, some of whom previously contested with the band!
We are just missing a couple of positions to make up the full band for the contest, these are Cornet (position on playing standard), Bb Bass and Percussion. Please get in touch if you are interested in joining us on this adventure! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Stockport Silver Band rehearse every Tuesday evening from 8pm to 10pm at Whitfield House, (Viaduct Street, Stockport SK3 0AD) near Stockport bus station. For more information have a look around our website.
Thanks to all who attended our quiz night on Friday.
Everyone seemed to enjoy the fun-packed evening and we took just under £250 on the night which will help greatly towards the band’s Whit Friday outing.
Thanks to all who supported us and thanks again to quiz master Sam for hosting the evening.
As it was such a great success we’ll hopefully be hosting another quiz night soon so watch this space!
- The ‘Wish You Were Here’ award for the most weeks spent abroad was presented to Russell Turner (or it would have been had he not been in Vietnam!)
- The ‘Best Band Twit’ award for the funiest twitter picture was presented to Sarah Boyd
- ‘The Morecombe and Wise’ award for creativity – all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order was presented to Terry Partridge.
- ‘The Rock’ award for reliability and steadfast support was presented to Phil Mumford.
- The ‘Stick To It’ award for sticking with banding through thick and thin was presented to John Clark.
- The ‘Style Icon’ award for the most fashion concious band member was presented to Matt Smith.
- Best Supporting Role went to Jake Saxton.
- Guest Conductor of the Year went to Linda Boyd.
- Most Improved Player went to Jo Henshaw.
- Bands Person of the Year went to Mark Drabble.
The band will be performing a selection of carols and festive music at the Duke of York
(113 Buxton Road, Stockport SK2 6LR) on Sunday, December 21st from 4pm.
It’s going to be a fun packed afternoon with hog roast and santa’s grotto – so bring the whole family!